EXPERT ADVICE FOR
HEALTHY LIVING

When you subscribe to HealthBeat, we’ll be in your e-mail inbox every week with the latest breaking medical news, healthy advice, outspoken insights and great health resources.

Good health and longevity require knowledge. Do you believe that modern medicine is the final word on health, or that the FDA and Big Pharma always have your best interests at heart? We'll help you sort the facts from the "spin" so you can make educated choices about your health. From conventional to holistic medicine, with a healthy dose of medical politics in the mix, our team of medical experts will keep you informed and entertained with real health news. Learn More


Xylitol and Dogs - A Toxic Combination

Written by support on September 2, 2008 – 6:32 pm -

There has been an e-mail circulating recently regarding xylitol and dogs - we have had a number of these emails forwarded to us by people who either know that we have dogs or who want us to warn others of this danger.

There is no doubt that this is a real danger - we reported on this in a HealthBeat article over a year ago: For Your Pet: Is That A Treat Or A Poison?

Here is the information that the ASPCA gave out in a press release regarding xylitol:

Urbana, Ill., August 21, 2006—The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center cautions animal owners that xylitol, a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and other products can potentially cause serious and even life-threatening problems for pets.

“Last year, we managed more than 170 cases involving xylitol-containing products,” says Dana Farbman, CVT and spokesperson for the Center.  “This is a significant increase from 2004, when we managed about 70.”  Barely halfway into 2006, the Center has already managed about 114 cases.  Why the increase?  “It’s difficult to say,” Farbman states.  “Xylitol products are relatively new to the United States marketplace, so one possibility may be an increase in availability.”

According to Dr. Eric Dunayer, veterinarian and toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, dogs ingesting significant amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.  “These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately.”  Dr. Dunayer also stated that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs.

While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of xylitol could result in problems, this appears to no longer be the case.  “We seem to be learning new information with each subsequent case we manage,” says Dr. Dunayer.  “Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients.  However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener.”  He also says that with smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion.  “Therefore, it is important to keep in mind that even if your pet does not develop signs right away, it does not mean that problems won’t develop later on.”

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center strongly urges pet owners to be especially diligent in keeping candy, gum or other foods containing xylitol out of the reach of pets. As with any potentially toxic substance, should accidental exposures occur, it is important to contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for immediate assistance.


Posted in Pet Health | No Comments »